The one room in our house that I have been having a hard time decorating is my office. So, when I saw Sharon White’s tutorial on how to make a Memory Board, I was super excited. Now I must confess something. My board isn’t as frugal as Sharon’s. She did a fantastic job of using things she already had around the house. I’m just learning how to become crafty (this is my first real project in a long time!) so I didn’t have a lot . . . ok, any of the materials I needed or that she used. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out though. It’s functional (currently holding pictures from my last trip home) and it adds a little bit of fun to my wall!
If you’d like to check out how Sharon created her memo board for next to nothing (her “board” and “fabric” were recycled from other things!), you can find it in Molly Saves in the Office!. It’s being offered for free during the month of January (today’s the last day!) when you sign up for Econobuster’s free newsletter.
The other night James came home from work and I hear “To-nay! Toooo-nay!” (for some reason, when he is yelling to me from another room my name gets changed from Toni to Tonay.) “WHAT did you do that for?”
Me: “Do what?” I yell back.
James: “Did you do this?”
Me: “Did I do WHAT?” Now I’m trying to remember what I could have possibly done during the day that would make him so perplexed.
So, I get up and go into the bedroom to find this:
Pepper likes to give her toys to me as a gift. If you have an outdoor kitty you have probably found dead birds or mice on your doorstep. Our cats don’t go outdoors so she brings toys, which is perfectly fine with me. Each morning, she puts one on the bedroom floor for me while I’m sleeping, and sometimes during the day she will bring one to my office as a trade so I will get up and make her some lunch. She has never done this before though. James must have done something pretty special for her. These are two of her most favorite toys!
Yesterday was National Dress Up Your Pet Day, today is National Hat Day,
and tomorrow the Seahawks are playing another playoff game.
We are celebrating all three occasions at our house this weekend!
Good luck Seattle!
I meant to write this blog way back in Oct. or Nov. but time got away from me. I have been finding all kinds of great deals and things for FREE and wanted to share with you! Unfortunately, most of these things are not available now, but there is more out there. You just have a little time and patience and know where to look!
Here are a few of things we’ve acquired for free or for super cheap over the last couple months:
- Coupon for a free box of pasta (manufacturer’s coupon)
- Coupon for a free bottle of Advil (manufacturer’s coupon)
- Free eye shadow, liner, and mascara sample from Sephora. (Birthday present for signing up on their mailing list. GOOD sized samples too!)
- Free granola bars, full-sized (I cant remember what brand or where from. James ate them too fast!)
- Free 1 year subscription to Martha Stewart Living
- Coupon for a free hand sanitizer Pen (CVS mailing list)
- Free face mask (from redeeming our CVS extra care bucks)
- Free remote control car (CVS extra care bucks) I used this as a topper for a cake I made James. Now he uses it to chase Malakai away from Pepper’s food.
- Free Starbucks drink, any size and any drink I wanted (birthday present for registering my gift card.)
- Free Starbucks flavored via (Walmart, I think. It came with several packets!)
- Free sample of Starbucks Vanilla Fusion (Starbucks website?)
- Free Renuzit air freshener (Manufacturer’s coupon or Facebook)
- Free 3 month subscription to a wood working magazine
- Free 3 month subscription to Family Circle
- Free milkshake at Arby’s
- Free ice cream at Cold Stone
- Free Blockbuster rental
- Anxious for Nothing: God’s Cure for the Cares of Your Soul By John MacArthur
- Tortured for Christ by Richard Wurmbrand (James really liked this one and you can get it here.)
- Free travel pillow from Sleep Number (Facebook) I was especially excited about this. I have been wanting to get a travel pillow to support my neck on long car rides.
- We also have full year magazine subscriptions to ESPN, Outdoor Photography, and Better Homes and Garden for only $3-4/year each!
- $1 Flip-Flops at Old Navy
I’m sure there is more but I can’t remember the rest. I tried to list where I found each of the deals, if I could remember. It’s been awhile on some of those! A few came directly from the manufacturer’s websites when you sign up for their newsletter and others from when you “like” them on Facebook. I’m sure your thinking- but who has time to look at all those websites every day? That’s the cool thing about it. There are tons of blogs and Facebook sites that do the work for you. All you have to do is subscribe to their newsletters or become their friend on Facebook and then you only have to spend 10 or 15 minutes a day checking a few sites to get tons of great deals! Some of my favorites are Molly Green, Econobusters, The Frugal Girls, and Thrifty Homemaker.
Guess what? Molly Green over at Econobusters has re-vamped her Money-Saving Digest for 2011 and wants to share the new look by offering the January issue, Molly Saves in the Office! at no charge. That’s right, she’s giving it away for FREE during the month of January! Hop on over and check it out! Just visit http://www.Econobusters.com and sign up for her free weekly newsletter on the yellow “sticky note” in the upper right corner of the blog. Your welcome letter will include a download link for the January Digest as well as a free Menu Planning E-Book by Sherri Graham. Enjoy!