Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – Yum!
A few weeks ago we made homemade Chicken Noodle Soup for dinner and it was delicious. I’ve been wanting to make this for a long time but the noodles intimidated me. My mom and grandma have made homemade noodles for as long as I can remember. I’m not a very good cook, so I thought there was no way I could make them, but it was super easy!
Here is the recipe for my Grandma’s Egg Noodles, with my revisions:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
- Mix eggs, milk, and salt together.
- Add flour slowly until the dough becomes heavy.
- Roll out the dough until it’s flat and let it sit for 2 to 3 hours to dry out.
- Roll up the dough into a tube-like shape. Starting at one end, make 1/8-inch-thick slices to create noodles.
- Add to chicken broth (recipe below) or water and boil for 20 to 30 minutes.
We looked through several broth recipes online and ended up taking bits and pieces from a couple of them. James made this part of the dish and here is how he did it:
1/6 cup chopped onion
1/6 cup chopped green onion
1/3 cup chopped celery
2 cans chicken broth
1 can vegetable broth
8 ounces chopped, cooked chicken breast
2/3 cup sliced carrots
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the noodles are done all the way through.
That’s it! Easy-peasy. It made enough to feed us both for dinner and then I had the leftovers for lunch the next day.