I made this cake over the weekend and it was so good that I wanted to share it with all of you. I got the recipe from my mom, but I’m not sure where she got it from.
1 box of chocolate cake mix (or you can make it from scratch!)
1 container of whipped topping
1 jar of caramel topping
4 Heath bars
1. Bake the chocolate cake as directed on the box or recipe. I used Betty Crocker’s dark chocolate cake.
2. Let the cake cool for a couple of hours.
3. Poke holes into the cake (I used a meat thermometer, mom uses a knitting needle). I made a round layer cake so I had to slice off the tops to make them flat. This exposed the natural air pockets in the cake so I barely had to make any holes.
4. Pour caramel over the cake letting it drip into the holes. (I smoothed a little extra over the top of the bottom layer to help the top layer of the cake stick and then poured the caramel into the holes of the top layer.)
5. Refrigerate the cake for a couple hours or overnight. This thickens the caramel back up so it stays in the holes rather than soaking completely into the cake.
6. Double bag the Heath Bars into sandwich bags that zip shut and smash them with a hammer until they are broken into crumbs. (My mom uses Score candy bars, but I’ve never seen them in CA. Any chocolate toffee candy bar will work fine.)
7. Frost the cake with whipped topping (I used Safeway brand whipped topping that is both soy and lactose free). If your house is warm, you will want to do this as quickly as possible before the whipped topping starts to melt.
8. Sprinkle the crushed up Heath bars over the top of the cake and then finish it off by drizzling a little caramel over the that.
We were taking the cake to a friend’s house so I covered it with plastic wrap and placed it in the freezer until we left so it wouldn’t melt on the way. If you do this, stick a couple of toothpick into the top of the cake before putting the plastic wrap on so it doesn’t stick to the caramel.
This has about a kazillion calories and at least a bazillion grams of sugar so I probably won’t make this cake often, but it tastes so good that it was worth every trip to the gym it’s going to take to work it off!
I’m stealing this idea from a friend. Well, not her answers, just the questions. 🙂 Thanks Claire!
WHAT I’M READING: Just my bible at the moment. I should probably do more reading.
WHAT I’M WATCHING: Lately we’ve been watching AGT. We also like anything on HGTV, particularly Sarah’s House.
WHAT I’M LISTENING TO: Miranda Lambert. I always thought she might be a little too redneck for me, but it turns out she’s just the right amount. And like her voice.
WHAT I’M WEARING: Running pants and a T-shirt. I feel pretty lucky be able to wear that to work.
WHAT I’M EATING: Broccoli. Well, I eat other things too, but we are trying to add more fruits and veggies and less junk into our diet.
WHAT I’M ENJOYING: Music concerts. San Diego has a lot of cool music in the summer and we’ve always said that we were going to go and never have. This summer we are making a point to do it. So far we’ve been to jazz, country, and next is Christian rock!
WHAT I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO: My niece!
♪♫♪‘Cause I know you like the back of my hand.
Got a heart of gold and a piece of land.
I’m your girl and you’re my man.
And we’re makin’ plans . . . ♫♪♫
~Makin’ Plans by Miranda Lambert