I meant to write this blog way back in Oct. or Nov. but time got away from me. I have been finding all kinds of great deals and things for FREE and wanted to share with you! Unfortunately, most of these things are not available now, but there is more out there. You just have a little time and patience and know where to look!
Here are a few of things we’ve acquired for free or for super cheap over the last couple months:
- Coupon for a free box of pasta (manufacturer’s coupon)
- Coupon for a free bottle of Advil (manufacturer’s coupon)
- Free eye shadow, liner, and mascara sample from Sephora. (Birthday present for signing up on their mailing list. GOOD sized samples too!)
- Free granola bars, full-sized (I cant remember what brand or where from. James ate them too fast!)
- Free 1 year subscription to Martha Stewart Living
- Coupon for a free hand sanitizer Pen (CVS mailing list)
- Free face mask (from redeeming our CVS extra care bucks)
- Free remote control car (CVS extra care bucks) I used this as a topper for a cake I made James. Now he uses it to chase Malakai away from Pepper’s food.
- Free Starbucks drink, any size and any drink I wanted (birthday present for registering my gift card.)
- Free Starbucks flavored via (Walmart, I think. It came with several packets!)
- Free sample of Starbucks Vanilla Fusion (Starbucks website?)
- Free Renuzit air freshener (Manufacturer’s coupon or Facebook)
- Free 3 month subscription to a wood working magazine
- Free 3 month subscription to Family Circle
- Free milkshake at Arby’s
- Free ice cream at Cold Stone
- Free Blockbuster rental
- Anxious for Nothing: God’s Cure for the Cares of Your Soul By John MacArthur
- Tortured for Christ by Richard Wurmbrand (James really liked this one and you can get it here.)
- Free travel pillow from Sleep Number (Facebook) I was especially excited about this. I have been wanting to get a travel pillow to support my neck on long car rides.
- We also have full year magazine subscriptions to ESPN, Outdoor Photography, and Better Homes and Garden for only $3-4/year each!
- $1 Flip-Flops at Old Navy
I’m sure there is more but I can’t remember the rest. I tried to list where I found each of the deals, if I could remember. It’s been awhile on some of those! A few came directly from the manufacturer’s websites when you sign up for their newsletter and others from when you “like” them on Facebook. I’m sure your thinking- but who has time to look at all those websites every day? That’s the cool thing about it. There are tons of blogs and Facebook sites that do the work for you. All you have to do is subscribe to their newsletters or become their friend on Facebook and then you only have to spend 10 or 15 minutes a day checking a few sites to get tons of great deals! Some of my favorites are Molly Green, Econobusters, The Frugal Girls, and Thrifty Homemaker.
Sometimes we shop at the $1 store. I’m not embarrassed to admit that- we’ve found some really fantastic deals there! We’re pretty picky about what we buy though. We mostly stick with name brand things (It’s not that we are snooty, it’s just that you can find some strange and funky things there so we just feel it’s safer that way). It’s a little trick we’ve started doing to save money. We write-up our grocery list, go to the dollar store first, and then get whatever is left at the grocery store. Sometimes we hit the jackpot and other times . . . well, not so much.
Here’s what I’m talking about. This summer I found Loreal’s self tanning lotion for $1. Since I’ve moved here, I’ve made it a practice to never walk out of the house without sunscreen on my face. I’m pretty fair-skinned anyway, but in the summer this makes my face several shades lighter than the rest of my body. I’ve used this kind before and it’s usually around $8-10 so it was a GREAT find.
Twice we have found mini roses and a few other beautiful potted flowers. In fact, about half the flowers on our patio are from the $1 store!
We have found spices without garlic. These spices are not name brand, but spices are expensive and usually have garlic so we gave it a shot. Our food has flavor again and my husband is a happy man.
We found sweet and sour sauce without garlic. Also not a name brand since we’ve never seen sweet and sour without garlic we gave it a shot. GREAT find.
Crest toothpaste, Aquafresh toothpaste, Campbells soup, Reach toothbrushes, Soft Soap liquid hand soap, holiday decorations, picture frames, etc, etc, etc. All GREAT finds.
We have been wanting new pot holders and dish towels and have decided to redo our kitchen in red and sage green (not to be confused with Christmas green). We found a great deal on dish towels at big lots in exactly the right shades (That is until the green towels turned yellow) but have yet to find pot holders in those colors . . . until one glorious day at the dollar store we found oven mitts. Not just in the right shade of red, but also the right shade of green. We bought one of each.
We were so excited that we got home and threw away our old pot holders, and I put the green one in the wash . . . and viola!
It shrank 2 sizes. This darn oven mitt barely fits my hand now. James has to fold it in half and use it like a pot holder. I still haven’t washed the red one- partly because I’m waiting for a big enough load of reds and partly because I’m afraid it will come out child sized.
Oh well. You win some, you lose some. And at $1 each I still think it was worth the gamble!